(Free to use. For over 17’s only)
Elefriends is a supportive online community from the mental health charity Mind. We all know what it’s like to struggle sometimes, but now there’s a safe place to listen, share and be heard. Whether you’re feeling good right now, or really low, it’s a place to share experiences and listen to others.
- Post updates and catch up with the community feed.
- Read and write posts offline.
- Share photos directly from your device.
- Passcode protected.
- Choose when and how you want to receive notifications.
- Moderated by the ‘Ele handlers’ from 10am until midnight.
Silvercloud provides a wide range of supportive and interactive programmes, tools and tactics for mental and behavioural health issues. These programmes address wellbeing, life balance, time management, communication skills, goal setting, communication and relationship management, anger management, stress management, relaxation and sleep management, among many others.
(Free to install. Contains adverts and in-app purchases)
Daylio enables you to keep a private diary without having to type a single line. Pick your mood and add activities you have been doing during the day. You can also add notes and keep an old school diary. Daylio is collecting recorded moods and activities in the statistics and calendar. This format will help you to understand your habits better. Keep track of your activities and create patterns to become more productive.
(Free to use)
Catch It is a joint project between the Universities of Liverpool and Manchester, to help users better understand their moods through use of an ongoing diary.
The app was designed to illustrate some of the key principles of psychological approaches to mental health and well-being, and specifically Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
It’s also well worth taking a look at the ‘Mental Health Foundation’s 16 free podcasts’ to help you live a mentally happier life – from New Years’ Resolutions to Relaxation for Better Sleep to Mindfulness and How to Overcome Fear and Anxiety. Can be listened to on the Mental Health Foundation website, downloaded or subscribe to on iTunes.
Apps For Depression and Anxiety
SAM: Self-help for Anxiety Management
(Free to use)
SAM will help you to understand what causes your anxiety, monitor your anxious thoughts and behaviour over time and manage your anxiety through self-help exercises and private reflection.
The “Social cloud” feature will enable you to share your experiences with the SAM community while protecting your identity.
(Free to install. Contains in-app purchases)
If you are feeling sad, anxious, or depressed, lift your mood with MoodTools. MoodTools is designed to help you combat depression and alleviate your negative moods, aiding you on your road to recovery.
The app contains several different research-supported tools. They include:
- Thought Diary – Improve your mood by analyzing your thoughts and identifying negative/distorted thinking patterns based on principles from Cognitive Therapy
- Activities – Regain your energy by performing energizing activities and tracking your mood before and after, based on Behavioural Activation Therapy
- Safety Plan – Develop a suicide safety plan to keep you safe and utilize emergency resources during a suicidal crisis
- Information – Read information, self-help guidelines, and find help with internet resources
- Test – Take the PHQ-9 depression questionnaire and track your symptom severity over time
- Video – Discover helpful YouTube videos that can improve your mood and behaviour, from guided meditations to enlightening TED talks.
Apps For Physical Wellbeing
(Free to use)
Walk and run your way to 5k this Couch to 5k app designed to take total beginners from walking to running for 30 minutes in just 9 weeks. Millions of people have already started running with our simple Couch to 5k plan – so download it now, grab your trainers and get ready to become a runner.
Presented in association with BBC Get Inspired, the app builds you up gradually with a mix of running and walking. All you have to do is choose one of our four famous trainers and let them guide and motivate you through each session.
(Free to use)
The FREE Smart Recipe app from Change4Life is an easy way of helping you prepare tasty, healthier meals the whole family will love.
We all love tasty food but it’s not always easy to cook for the family if you’re short on time and the kids are picky.
Remembering ingredients and keeping track of portion sizes can be a hassle. But don’t worry; our Meal Mixer will take care of that for you.
Apps To Support Those Suffering From Eating Disorders
(Free to use)
Rise Up + Recover is an app for people struggling with food, dieting, exercise and body image. The app is based upon self-monitoring homework, a cornerstone of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).
With the Rise Up + Recover app you can:
- Log your meals, emotions and behaviours from the privacy of your mobile phone
- Export PDF summaries of your Meal Log and Check-In to share with your treatment team
- Set custom reminders to inspire you to keep moving forward
Rest assured that your personal information is protected behind a pass-code
- Share motivational and inspirational quotes, images and affirmations
- Access a wide range of resources to build a strong recovery warrior mindset
- Find support and professional treatment nearby
(Free to use)
Recovery Record is the smart companion for managing your journey to recovery from eating disorders including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, obsessive eating disorder, binge eating disorder and compulsive eating disorder.
With Recovery Record you can:
- Keep a record of meals, thoughts and feelings from the privacy of your mobile phone.
- Collect jigsaw pieces to earn hidden rewards.
Customise your log form, meal plan, reminder schedules and alarm tones.
- Share your Recovery Record with your treatment team, so they can help you to understand your behavioural trends and triggers.
- Receive and send anonymous encouragement messages and virtual gifts from/to 1000s of other people using the App.
- Access 1000s of meditation images and affirmation messages.
Perfect for every stage of recovery from anorexia, bulimia, OED, BED, CED and other eating disorders.
Apps For Younger People
(Free to use)
Struggling with anxiety? Tired of missing out? There are things you can do to stop anxiety and fear from controlling your life. MindShift is an app designed to help teens and young adults cope with anxiety. It can help you change how you think about anxiety. Rather than trying to avoid anxiety, you can make an important shift and face it.
MindShift will help you learn how to relax, develop more helpful ways of thinking, and identify active steps that will help you take charge of your anxiety. This app includes strategies to deal with everyday anxiety, as well as specific tools to tackle:
• Test Anxiety
• Social Anxiety
• Performance Anxiety
Think of MindShift as your portable coach helping you face challenging situations and take charge of your life.
MindShift is the work of a joint collaboration between AnxietyBC (http://www.anxietybc.com) and BC Mental Health & Addiction Services (http://www.bcmhas.ca). to help teens and young adults cope with anxiety – teaches relaxation skills, develops new thinking and suggests healthy activities.
Additional Mobile Apps
- What’s Up – Coping strategies, information on Anxiety, Depression, Self-esteem and stress, track positive and negative habits and information and guidance if you need help right now
- Headspace – Available for iOS and Android. Designed to help you train your mind and body for a healthier, happier life and get the most out of your day, Headspace can be used anywhere. The free version of the app includes meditations and exercises that will teach you the essentials of meditation and mindfulness.
- Moodfit – Tools to boost your mood and set daily goals
- MoodMission – Help to deal with stress, low mood and anxiety
- Calm – Available for iOS and Android. Calm is the perfect meditation app for beginners (there’s a seven-day beginner’s programme to get you started) but also includes programmes for more advanced users
- Insight Timer – Available for iOS and Android. Entry price: Free. But you have to navigate around the subscription screen with the button that says “Start 7 Day Trial. Once you scroll past that, you can access the free content. Insight Timer has a huge library of content: over 25,000 guided meditations from around 3,000 teachers on topics like stress, relationships, creativity, and more.
- NHS Apps library