‘Social Prescribing’ is recognising that people’s health is influenced by a range of social, economic and environmental factors and seeks to address people’s needs in a holistic way. It also aims to support individuals to take greater control of their own health.
‘Community Connect’ is the new social prescribing service in Bexley led by the Bexley Voluntary Service Council (BVSC) in partnership with Mind. The project is supported by NHS Bexley Clinical Commissioning Group and the London Borough of Bexley.
We aim to connect local people with non-clinical sources of support in the community to improve their health and wellbeing. Many people are unaware of the wide range of voluntary and community services throughout Bexley or how to access them, going instead to their GP or local hospital. Community Connect will offer information and support to people to raise their awareness of local services and support them to access the services that may benefit them the most.
Who is eligible to access the Community Connect Social Prescribing Service? :-
Any person over the age of 18 registered with a GP practice in the Borough of Bexley.
What we connect you to:-
• Education and learning opportunities
• Healthy living, physical or outdoor activities
• Socialising, counselling and support groups
• Arts, music or cultural gatherings
•Employment skills, volunteering or self-improvement
How we support you:-
We’ll speak with you on the phone or face to face:
1. Talk through problems you are having
2. Discover what’s key to your wellbeing
3. Help you access support, activities or services
4. Support you to make best use of them